Junior Zoological Keeper
The Living Rainforest currently has a vacancy within the Animal Department for a Junior Keeper.
The Living Rainforest and the Trust for Sustainable Living are co-authors in a vision that combines 3 glasshouses providing a unique, sensory and immersive experience, creating wonder and curiosity about the environment and life sciences, with a mission to inspire the next generation to reach out to a sustainable future though imagination and leadership. Our Educational charity ensures that we are a highly sought after centre for schools right across the South of England and our Zoological team provide the canvas on which we all work.
The Living Rainforest Centre has a highly talented, knowledgeable and enthusiastic zoological team who maintain the animal collection and constantly review the collections management, standards and practices. Equally importantly they develop our collection to offer a unique blend of taxa diversity and an authentic rainforest feel to ensure our visitors have an inspiring visit.
This is a great opportunity to work with a wide variety of species from Mammals, Reptiles and Amphibians to Fish and Invertebrates.
- This is a hands on, practical role, working with a diverse range of tropical animals from all taxa.
- Working closely with other departments including horticulture and education.
- Supervision and training of volunteers and work experience students.
- Will involve aspects of public education such as weekend and holiday keeper talks.
- Opportunity for a varied job role including aspects of zoo animal management, enclosure design, ex-situ research and creation of public talks.
- The job role is physically demanding and will involve some heavy lifting and occasional construction and maintenance work.
- Working hours are approximately 9.00 – 5.30pm five days per week on a rota’d basis. Weekend and bank holiday work will be required, as well as an occasional evening.
- Salary and Job title will be commensurate with level of experience. Holiday allowance of 20 days per annum plus days off in lieu for bank holidays.
- Would suit an innovative and creative individual looking to gain a broad spectrum of experience.
- Applicants should have a minimum of one year zoo industry experience with exotic species, either volunteering or in paid employment.
- Applicants should have an Animal related qualification at Level 4 or above or currently studying to this level.
- Please note there is no convenient public transport to The Living Rainforest and therefore the successful applicant will require their own transport.
- The Living Rainforest is an equal opportunities employer.
To apply please send a current CV and cover letter. The closing date for applications is August 31st 2019, with first interviews anticipated to be held in early September.
HR & Finance Office
The Living Rainforest & Trust for Sustainable Living